Sunday, October 16, 2011

I joined a gym

I decided to do a bit of gym shopping because I really want to get back on track.  I was very happy when my husband also expressed interest in joining one.  His interest may have limited the number of gyms I could've visited but at least he'll join me. I'd rather do things together.

I took a look at three separate gyms and will compare the major points of each.  Sadly, I didn't look at the city community centre gyms because they were all too far. There's no way I'm going to drive through rush hour traffic for an hour to get to a gym with my husband when I can go to one that's closer and less of a headache to reach.

Koko Fitness

Pros
  • Digital personal trainer to help you along and monitor your progress. Has a postpartum program.
  • 1 km from my house
  • No contract

Cons
  • The location in Oakville is literally a store space with a dozen close together machines
  • $59/mo per person
  • No family packages - you can only get the $59 package
  • No childcare

LA Fitness

Pros

  • Least expensive gym to join
  • Lots of room
  • Lots of machines
  • Child Care
  • Classes
  • Female only workout area

Cons

  • Screwed my neighbour over for his contract -- made promises and went back on them
  • Very expensive enrolment fee
  • You pay each time you use the child care
  • Parking is atrocious
  • Contract

Goodlife Fitness

Pros

  • The gym is very clean
  • Discount rate to use only the gyms in my city
  • Lots of machines
  • Daycare with discounted price for two kids - unlimited use, 2 hour window per visit
  • Plenty of parking
  • Gym provides blow dryers, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion
  • Private showers and changing areas if you're self-conscious
  • Lots of locations I can visit -- I can drop the kids off at one of the Loblaws location and even do  my groceries!
  • Classes - lots of classes

Cons

  • The mall in which this is located is gross and ghetto
  • Contract


So, we joined Goodlife.  I did my first workout today and am tired but feel good. It's a bit more expensive but I feel like it's going to be worth it.  The dealbreaker was essentially the childcare and not supporting a gym that screwed over our neighbours.

I hope to keep it up. I can go everyday and not worry about the kids. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment