Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mississauga 10k

Figured I'd make a post about this.

Mat and I signed up to do the Mississauga 10k together. More accurately, I signed up and Mat signed up to run with me after I was confirmed signed up.

It was a beautiful day. Not too hot, not too cold. Sunny with a few fluffy clouds in the sky.

There was a decently large crowd for the run and when everyone started moving, you got that surreal feeling of being in a mass of people.

There were people of all ages running. Probably about a hundred kids ran the 10k relay for their schools and people of all older ages, from 18 to 70. 





Mat and I were passed by the Flash. It was kind of embarrassing. People who run in costume make me laugh. I don't think I could do it.

We finished the race with a time of 1:09:38 which was better than I anticipated.  I was in training beforehand and my previous distance was 7.5k. I hadn't run for a week due to getting glass in my foot but woke up on race day with something of a feeling of zen. It was just a day for racing, I figured.

Partway through the race I felt a pull in my left leg. I pressed through it and after awhile it went away.  There were only two drink stations in the whole race, which was kind of disappointing. One was at 2.5k, the other at 7.5k. They should have had something at the 5k mark. It would've improved my running time a bit, I think.

Greg and Jaime met us at the end of the race, and after talking for a few minutes,  Mat and I hopped a shuttle bus back to the start line. I had my heart set on a burrito from Chorizo but by the time we got there, they had closed.  Sadness.

I ended up having Wendy's cos by the time I finished going for a hot tub and changing and stuff, it was super late and nothing else was open.

The day after the race I hobbled like a cripple. I had pulled my groin muscle and walking was horrible. Agony. Another day after icing and taking care of it, I was fine.

Here are a couple of pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment